Temperature - Schemes

Hello everyone,
I am running a case in the Caribbean Sea with a river, the temperature of the river is 30 ° C and the surrounding ocean is about 25 ° C. When observing the temperature results it is not possible to appreciate the outlet (plume) of the river, in the salinity if they can be observed.

This is the cppdefs.h I’m using, this setting is the one that best represents the streams in the zone. cppdefs.h

I think the problem is that due to the small difference in temperature, the model mixes the river outlet quickly.
I would like to ask if there is anyone who has had this problem or if from their experiences with the model they can recommend another mixing scheme that I can use.
Thanks

A couple of questions… what is your grid size and what is your river flow (m3/s) ?

Try increasing the flow of the river or increase the temperature difference to see if you can notice it, to make sure the river is there. Can you post a figure of how it looks the salinity field?

Another thing you can try is to modify the shape of the river inflow (Qshape) or the mixing scheme (too much mixing?)

Hi,

The grid size is parent 3 km and child 1 km. The river has an average discharge of 7000 m3/s.
Simulation in climatology conditions.
Note: Each subplot corresponds to one month, from January to August.

Results of the child mesh for salinity:
image description

Temperature results with a value of 40 ° C
image description

Yes, I think the problem is too much mixing.

Ok, what is the minimum depth at the grid cells next to land?

Have you tried to change que shape of the discharge (Qshape in analystical.F) ? Perhaps you need to put the river discharge in the upper layers…

1 Like