Suspended sediment effect on hydrodynamics

Hi,

I am experimenting with PSOURCE flow that includes suspended sediments. I have calculated the contribution of the suspended sediment to the overall density of the fluid and I was expecting to see a sinking behaviour of the PSOURCE fluid, similar to a PSOURCE with an increased salinity compared to the background water but it doesn’t appear to exhibit this behaviour.

So, my question is: Is the contribution of the suspended sediment to the overall fluid density taken into account into the hydrodynamics calculations, e.g. similar to the salinity contribution to the density?

If yes, which model does that? The USGS model, the mustang v1, the mustang v2?

Thanks
Konstantinos

Hi Konstantinos,

This is not yet implemented for MUSTANG (it was the case within MARS code but has not been done in CROCO yet).
It is on the wanted feature list, still to be done.

I don’t think it is implemented for USGS neither, but I’ll let USGS developpers confirm.

Solène

Thank you Solène!

Do you know if there is any planning in implementing this effect? I think it is important in order to capture the real fate of the suspended particles.
Regards
Konstantinos

We are currently implementing this effect, as a modification of the EOS in rho_eos.F (as in Warner et al. 2008). This will be soon available.

This is great news!
Thank you Patrick,
Regards
Konstantinos

Hi Konstantinos,

Please find attached a version of rho_eos.F that should meet your needs.
It has been tested for both SEDIMENT and MUSTANG cppkeys on the RIVER test case (if you want to try, you will also need the attached analytical.F )

As tests had only been done on RIVER test case, do not hesitate to report your problems.

This will probably be fully integrated in next croco V1.4

rho_eos.F
analytical.F

Thank you Solène, this is exactly what I needed. Yes, I will report any issues I find.
Best regards
Konstantinos

Hi Konstantinos,
I wanted to inquire about your progress with the implementation of the rho_eos.F and analytical.F. Were you able to successfully test them in your test case? I’m particularly interested in hearing whether you encountered any difficulties or if everything worked as expected.
Additionally, I have a small request. It seems that the files attached by another individual in the thread cannot be opened correctly. Would you be so kind as to resend them to me when you have a moment? Your assistance with this matter is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Lina