Simulation of hydrothermal vent plumes, vertical PSOURCE

Hi All,

I am interested in using CROCO to simulate vertical point sources, at seabed boundary. During our CROCO training
this October, we discussed that there is a CPPDEFS Key for vertical PSOURCE but I can’t find or remember the name of the key…

Can you please remind me of the KEY name?

I want to capture the vertical evolution and mixing of the plume with a high resolution grid, with NBQ hydrodynamics, nested into a larger grid.

Then I want to capture the horizontal advection, diffusion of the plume in the larger coarse grid. Does the 2-Way AGRIF work in CROCO 1.2.1 in nested NBQ mode? If yes, do both grids need to be in NBQ, or the larger grid can be non-NBQ?

Thank you for any advice!
Konstantinos

Hi

• This PSOURCE as a mass flux option will only be available in the next release of CROCO (in the coming weeks).

• For your second question. AGRIF is implemented for NBQ in the 1.2.1. There is a CPP key NBQ_CHILD_ONLY, it as to be activated in addition to NBQ key, this should allow you to run in NBQ for the child only. Note that these option has not be used a lot so far (as far as I know), but we would be glad to help if needed.

Rachid

Thank you Rachid. So, if I understand correctly, with the NBQ_CHILD_ONLY option you still have 2-way AGRIF nesting option available?

Yes, I never tried myself, but I think the combination

#NBQ
#NBQ_CHILD_ONLY
agrif
#AGRIF_2WAY

should do what you want