MUSTANG model - climatology

Hello,
Can I run the MUSTANG model under climatology conditions? If it’s possible, what steps should I take?
I’ve attempted to run a scenario under climatology conditions activating MUSTANG and keeping the files in MUSTANG_NAMELIST/*.txt identical to those in the VILAINE scenario, but I encountered the following message:

“TOOL_ORIGINDATE ERROR: Could not find any origin date in time var units. Time variable should follow the NetCDF CF format: ‘seconds(days) since YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ss’.”

Thanks
Lina

The previous error appears to be a configuration error in the input netCDF files, where some attributes are missing because I created these netCDF files with CROCO version 1.1, although I see that even CROCO version 1.3.1 doesn’t output these attributes by default.

However, I reached this conclusion by comparing the input files from the VILAINE case with my input files. This message doesn’t appear as frequently now, but it still pops up occasionally, even though the model is reading more information.

I have a question: Does the MUSTANG module only work with boundary input files of the croco_bry.nc type and not with croco_clm.nc type boundaries?
I’ve attached the croco.log file.
croco_log.txt (23.5 KB)

I appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

MUSTANG use the cpp keys #USE_CALENDAR.

That is why you must define your time axis units attributes.

You can add attributes using ncatted netcdf command (NCO 5.2.5-alpha02 User Guide ), here find an example :

ncatted -O -a units,ocean_time,m,c,'seconds since 2000-01-01 00:00:00' croco_ini_SODA_Y2005M01.nc 
ncatted -O -a units,scrum_time,m,c,'seconds since 2000-01-01 00:00:00' croco_ini_SODA_Y2005M01.nc 
ncatted -O -a units,bulk_time,m,c,'days since 2000-01-01 00:00:00' croco_blk_ERA5_Y2005M01.nc 
ncatted -O -a units,bry_time,m,c,'days since 2000-01-01 00:00:00' croco_bry_SODA_Y2005M01.nc

If your hydrodynamic simulation runs with USE_CALENDAR you should not have this issue with MUSTANG.

Thank you, the hydrodynamics-only simulation was not using USE_CALENDAR.

I see now that this key is important for using MUSTANG.

Thanks, I have already added the attributes to the bry and ini files, and it started running without any problems.