Interannual CROCO v1.1 with ERA5 and GLORYS

Hi there,

I have two queries:

Firstly, I’m wondering if it is workable to get ERA5 atmospheric forcing and GLORYS (or in my case CMEMS-IBI, which is structured like GLORYS) to work with CROCO v1.1 by labelling the files like the atm/ini/bry sources that are compatible with v1.1? I decided to step away from v1.2 due to an apparent overheating and no apparent way of removing it.

Secondly, along the same vein, I am working on downscaling from a CMIP6 ESM and using the ESM data (both ocean physics, biogeochemistry and atmospheric forcing) for setting initial and boundary forcing and atmospheric forcing. Would it be workable to relabel this data to make it appear to CROCO v1.1 as another type of OGCM/ATM forcing type?

Thanks for reading

Hi,

The simple answer is yes for both.

If you have the Matlab/Python functions to convert the ERA5 and CMEMS-IBI output files to the
NetCDF files, with the variables and dimensions the way CROCO expects, it should work.

There is already a make_ERA5.m in CROCO_TOOLS and the make_OGCM.m has an option to read mercator output files (see get_mercator_subgrid.m in th Oforf_OGCM directory).

The same applies to CMIP6, but I don’t know of available codes that writes the variables and dimensions the way CROCO expects.

Thanks Andres. Does your answer consider that I am referring to CROCO v1.1 and not v1.2 or 1.2.1?